This happy cloud mobile with bright colorful balls will make any baby smile. It’s a sweet addition to a nursery and it looks great in a kids room as they grow, and you can match the colors of your baby’s nursery. I’ve made several of these cloud mobiles as baby shower gifts. You can make a few at a time ‘assembly line style’ and just stash them as needed as baby gifts. A handmade gift that has been created with love is always appreciated and you’ll get serious crafty props!
Total time to make 1-2 hours
- 2 sheets of white felt
- regular black thread or black embroidery thread
- 1 yard of Silver elastic
- 20 x 2 cm Felted Balls , 5 colors
- White thread for sewing the cloud
- Sharp fabric scissors
- 5 x 1 foot pieces of fishing line + more for hanging
- 3 inches of silver elastic cord
- Small bag of stuffing for the cloud
- Sewing machine
Step by step instructions
To make the cloud, begin by downloading the cloud pattern by clicking here.
- Print the PDF cloud and cut out x 2 on a double layer of felt.
2. Triple thread a needle and embroider the cloud face on one side. If using black embroidery thread separate out three strands for less thickness.
3. Turn the right sides facing each other (embroidered side in) and pin together the cloud.
4. Lay out the felted balls in 5 rows of 5 balls and arrange the colors as you like.
5. Thread a piece of the fishing line and make a knot. Take one felted ball and secure by making a stitch from top to bottom 3 times (you want the bottom balls to be very secure so baby can not pull them off)
6. Make a knot about 1.5 inches above the first ball and stitch the next ball the same way, continue until the strand has all 5 felted balls and leave about 5 inches of fishing line free. Continue to create the other 4 stands and balls.
7. Along one of the bottom cloud pieces you want to secure the strands and balls .25 of an inch in by threading the top of each strand and stitching several times in place on the cloud.
8. Once all 5 strands are secured very well, tuck them into the cloud and pin together like a pizza pocket.
9. Now you want to sew first across the bottom of the cloud stitching over the strands a couple of times. Continue to sew until the top middle of the cloud. Add in your silver loop of elastic by placing the loop inside and sewing back and forth a few times to secure. Continue sewing the cloud (leave one part of the cloud unstitched for folding the cloud and balls right side out).
10. Clip off the excess elastic and carefully turn the cloud inside out drawing the strands of felted balls out carefully.
11. Use a pencil to push out the corners of the cloud and add the stuffing using the pencil to push the stuffing into the corners.
12. Hand stitch the opening closed and you’re done!
To hang the mobile you can use a piece of fishing line. The cloud mobile looks great above a crib or change table. It spins and serves as a great distraction when changing diapers. Keep it high enough so that the mobile is out of reach of baby. I’d love to hear how your own mobile turned out! Thanks for sharing this is with your crafty friends!
P.s If you are looking for a great sewing machine for crafting and clothing, Singer has this beauty SINGER 7258 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine that sews like a dream.
Flossie McCowald | SuperMomHacksNovember 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM
This is such an adorable craft idea! I especially love your clear, straightforward, and easy-to-follow step-by-step instructions! 🙂
beehappyNovember 21, 2017 at 11:22 PM
how cute is this? I love it. I might do this with my 4yo, she doesn’t need a mobile anymore but she’d love this for her room!
NiharikaNovember 22, 2017 at 9:10 AM
Ohh!!! I am so gonna make this for my girl…love it thanks for the idea!! Great post